Australian citizens



Before leaving Australia, we strongly recommend that you obtain an ATTO NOTORIO (sworn declaration) from the Italian Embassy or Consulate in the state in which you reside.

Make sure you travel with your Australian passport. If you were married before, bring evidence of the termination of the previous marriage.

Please note that a divorced woman who wants to marry again within 300 days of the date of her divorce must contact the local Italian authorities and seek special permission from an Italian magistrate. Otherwise, she must allow the required period of 300 days to elapse.

If you are widowed, you must bring the death certificate of your previous spouse. Certificates can be obtained from the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages.



In addition to the Atto Notorio, an Australian citizen intending to get married in Italy will need to make a Statutory Declaration (NULLA OSTA).

This Statutory Declaration must be signed, whether you are single, divorced or widowed, in the presence of an Australian Consular officer at the Australian Embassy in Rome or at the Australian Consulate-General in Milan.

A NULLA OSTA literally states that "there are no impediments" or that one is free to marry. The Nulla Osta (Statutory Declaration) is valid for six months and costs around the equivalent in Euro of A$50.00 per Australian citizen to be paid cash directly by you.

The Nulla Osta must then be legalized by the Ufficio Legalizzazioni of the Prefettura with the assistance of one of our coordinators.

The Wedding Hall may require a declaration of intent to marry before your marriage, in this case you need to plan your arrival a few days before the ceremony.

The above information is provided by the Consular Section of the Australian Embassy in Rome for the convenience of enquirers, but neither the Australian Government nor the Embassy can take any responsibility whatsoever in regard to the consequences of using the above information.