Uk citizens




What you need to do

You’ll need to get a certificate of no impediment (CNI) from the authorities in the UK to prove you’re allowed to marry.

Your partner will need to follow the same process to get their own CNI.

You can normally get a CNI by giving a notice of marriage at your local register office or registrar in the UK. Find your local office or registrar in England and Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Isle of Man, Jersey or Guernsey.

A CNI issued in Scotland is valid for 3 months. A CNI issued in England, Wales or Northern Ireland will not expire. Check with your local register office to find out how long a CNI is valid if you live in the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man. You should also check with the local authorities in Italy to find out how long a CNI is valid under local law.


Getting a statutory declaration

While you’re waiting for your CNI, you and your partner will need to make a statutory declaration before a solicitor or public notary. The Italian authorities will need this in addition to your CNI. There’s a standard template in English and Italian that you can download and use.


Legalisation and translation

You’ll need to get your statutory declaration and CNIlegalised’ (certified as genuine) by the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO).

You’ll also need to get your CNI translated and sworn before the Italian courts or an Italian Justice of the Peace (we take care of this).


The names on all documents you provide must appear exactly as they do on your passports - if not, the authorities may refuse to allow the marriage to go ahead. You may need to provide evidence if the name on your passport is different to your birth certificate (eg marriage certificate or deed poll).